Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Today ...

Today has been a perfectly lovely day and I don't want to forget it, so I thought I'd share it here.

The day began with the lighting of our Yankee Candle "Holiday Berry" and some Celtic Christmas music on Pandora. The girls also got to dig into the first round of picture books I got from the library last night. We've got at least 20 more requested, not to mention all of the ones we own that we'll be breaking out tomorrow. We've got plenty to read over the next month!

We are two chapters from finishing the first book in the Chronicles of Narnia series and I would like to go ahead and finish this today or tomorrow so that we can focus solely on all of these Christmas books (we love reading our Christmas picture books) until after the holidays. So, while the girls ate breakfast, I read a chapter of Narnia to them.

As I prepared and ate something myself, the Hippie read aloud to the Princess from the Little House Christmas Treasury. She read "Christmas in the Big Woods" to her.

And then I joined them on the couch. We sang together "Deck the Hall" while reading this lovely book by Sylvia Long.


http://www.amazon.com/Deck-Hall-A-Traditional-Carol/dp/0811828212


We followed our lovely singing by my reading aloud of The Baker's Dozen: A Colonial American Tale by Heather Forest.

http://www.amazon.com/Bakers-Dozen-Colonial-American-Tale/dp/0152004122/ref=sr_sp-atf_title_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1385581523&sr=1-1&keywords=baker%27s+dozen+colonial

And then the fun really began. The Princess and I spent three solid hours in the kitchen cooking together. She and I made the pumpkin cheese cake, the stuffing and the squash casserole, all from scratch. It was such a joy to share all of this with her. And, she now has an appreciation for how hard Momma works every year to provide the feast! It was hard work and we are both worn out!

At some point we switched over to Classical Christmas music on Pandora and on more than one occasion, all three of us had to stop what we were doing to head into the living room an dance about together.

The Hippie spent some time reading Pilgrim Stories and playing Legos. She was also a huge help by making lunch while the Princess and I finished up our work.

To round it all out, the Princess read aloud to me the story, Little One, We Knew You'd Come.

http://www.amazon.com/Little-One-Knew-Youd-Come/dp/0316523917/ref=sr_sp-atf_title_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1385581916&sr=1-1&keywords=little+one+we+knew+you%27d+come
 
 And finally, I read aloud to her The Christmas Story from the Gospel According to St. Luke from the King James Bible.
 
http://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Story-Gospel-According-James/dp/0060288825/ref=sr_sp-atf_title_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1385582020&sr=1-1&keywords=The+Christmas+Story+from+the+Gospel+According+to+St.+Luke+from+the+King+James+Bible.


And, here we are. The Princess is playing quietly with Legos (and the dogs), the Hippie is working on some mysterious craft she's been doing for Thanksgiving tomorrow and I am about to fix myself a nice big cup of hot tea.

Heaven.

Now, if only I could find a way to summon that cleaning fairy! I believe every single dish I own is dirty. Ah well. They can wait just long enough for me to have my tea.

How is your Thanksgiving-Eve going?
 

I'll leave you with a few snap shots of the morning.
Until next time, 
~ Irie Momma


Still half asleep. :)

Ready to make Momma's home made pumpkin cheesecake ~ YUMMY

The Hippie reading to the Princess


My little helper ... she loves to cook with me!




Moving on to the stuffing ...



Making a glorious mess while her sister and I cook. :)






Last, but not least (for today anyway) ... squash casserole.





Making lunch for the girls

Thoroughly exhausted ... moving on to her other joy ... Sweet Pea!



Wishing you a blessed day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...