Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Planning the first chunk

Last time I talked about my basic yearly schedule and how I think it will help to keep me on track when the going gets tough.

Now, let me talk about what my plans are for the coming school year (2011/2012), specifically the first six weeks.

The Princess is 7 and will be in 1st grade.
The Hippie is 8 and will be in 3rd grade.

I've been around and around and have ultimately decided to just do most everything together with different expectations depending on their skill levels.

At this point in our journey, their reading levels are miles apart, but their math abilities are fairly close. 

I think it will be easiest on all of us if we just stick together for the most part.  When I try to separate us for certain subjects, the day takes longer and we all end up getting tired of it before we've finished everything.  In an effort to keep our school days short, we're going to stick together.  Each and every subject listed below (other than "reading" and QLL) are going to be done as a family.

In order to fit in our morning routine, chores, plenty of free time and play time and outdoor time and quiet time, my goal is to keep our 'school time' to around 2 hours per day.

Our main school days will be Monday, Wednesday and Friday.  Our Theater Troupe starts at 12:30 on Tuesdays, so we only have time for a small amount of school.  Wednesdays are BUSY BUSY ... we have to fit in school and I need to make dinner before we leave for the library and handwork because we don't get home until dinner time.  Thursdays are our field trip days.  Monday and Friday are our HOME days.

Keep in mind, I am talking about the first six weeks only.

Remember, I'm taking baby steps as I wake up from the snow.

One foot in front of the other. 

Planning one 6 week chunk at a time.

Too much = overwhelm!

I'll reevaluate our schedule after the first 6 weeks, tweaking where I need to.  I will have to change our schedule a bit when I add in more History/Geography and when we finish Arithmetic Village and do something else for math.

One chunk at a time!


So, what do I have planned for the first 6 week chunk (main points)?
  • Begin reading Hurlbut's Story of the Bible (Old Testament this year)
  • Complete Arithmetic Village
  • Delightful Reading Lessons with the Princess
  • Begin Composer Study
  • Begin Picture Study and Artist Study
  • Begin Literature Read Alouds
  • Queen Language Lessons (individual)
  • Weekly baking, painting, games, library, handwork, poetry, HAP, Theater Troupe
  • Get into a groove!!! (most important)
As I said in my previous post, Term 1A is a wash.  So, we'll be starting Term 1B.  That means I have the rest of 2011 to finish it.  I should be able to get us going by then, don't you think?


As for the daily/weekly schedule, here's what I have so far:

Monday
Bible
Reading
QLL
Poetry
SNACK
Arithmetic Village
Art
Free Time
Lunch
Literature Read Aloud


Tuesday
Bible
Reading
Arithmetic Village
Artist Bio Read Aloud
Picture Study
Literature Read Aloud
Lunch
Theater Troupe

Wednesday
Bible
Reading
QLL
Literature Read Aloud
SNACK
Outdoor Secrets
Baking
Free Time
Lunch
Library
Handwork Group


Thursday
Homeschool Adventures Playgroup

Friday
Bible
Reading
QLL
Composer
SNACK
Outdoor Secrets
Games
Free Time
Lunch
Literature Read Aloud

Saturday
Chores
Free Time
Farmer's Market
Grocery


Sunday
Family FOOTBALL Day

******

That's where I am so far.  


When I say "Bible", I simply mean curl up on the couch together and read from Hurlbut's Story of the Bible. 


When I say "Reading", I will do the Delightful Reading lesson with the Princess and the Hippie will read during that time.  

When I say "QLL", each child will work in their own level of Queen Language Lessons.

When I say "Poetry", we'll simply read some poems.

You get the idea.

**** 
Baby steps.


One foot in front of the other.


Up next, I'll break down our basic daily routine for you.


So blessed to be a home educator!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...