As I said above, this week is all about Mother Earth and Earth Day. It was tough for me to choose this year ~ Earth Day and Easter fall at the same time. I ended up deciding to focus our school week on Earth Day and then our family activities over the weekend on Easter.
We still haven't started an official 2nd grade main lesson block ~ that starts next week. This week is another FAMILY week.
Here is an overview of what I've got planned for the week:
- Math ~ Number bonds 1 to 6
- Snack ~ Ants on a log
- Read Earth Mother
- Watercolor painting ~ earth
- Get outside with some trash bags and pick up garbage in our neighborhood parks
- Math ~ Number bonds 7 and 8
- Snack ~ Apple slices and peanut butter
- Read & Sing Earth Day Birthday
- Make a vegan Earth Day pie using blueberries and kiwi for the water and land
- Recall the story of Earth Mother and Illustrate it in our MLBs
- Math ~ Number bonds 9 and 10
- Snack ~ Earth Day Pie we made yesterday
- Recall the story of Earth Mother, summarize together, Hippie copy summary into MLB
- Make Earth Day bookmarks
- Read Alejandro's Gift
- Math ~ Play game to reinforce number bonds 1 to 10
- Snack ~ Veggies and homemade hummus
- Look at our MLBs to review the story of Earth Mother, re-read the book if desired
- Play Earth Day Bingo
- Watch Wall-E
- Read Joseph Had a Little Overcoat
- Field Day at our Homeschool Co-op
What else will the girls be working on? Both girls will do all applicable practice pages in their math books. The Hippie will also do a Mad Lib (for grammar practice), a Mind Bender (for logic), an Earth Day Word Search, copy some Earth Day quotes (for copywork), write a thank you card and read some more Earth Day books from the book basket.
- Joseph had a little overcoat
- Earth Day Girl
- Every day is Earth Day
- May & Miguel: Rain or Shine
- Earth Mother
- Earth Day
- Earth Day
- Earth Day-horray!
- Earth Day Birthday
- Let's celebrate Earth Day
- Every day is Earth Day: a craft book
- Diary of a worm
- Alejandro's gift
- Dr. Seuss's The Lorax
That about covers our Earth Day plans. The main idea is to get out and enjoy and appreciate Mother Earth as we try to do every day. Every day really is Earth Day in our family ~ most people would call us tree-huggers, hippies, green people, etc. And, we're quite proud to be that way! This week just gives an excuse to relax and enjoy creation!
Happy Earth Week!