Wednesday, February 6, 2013

God speaks in the stillness


I fix my green tea. Steaming hot, with honey.

I kiss him goodbye and walk him to the door.

I linger at the door, listening, looking.

That is when I notice the splendor.

The beautiful little sliver of moon in the dark sky.

The song of the early morning birds.

The hint of light as it begins to spread from the east.

I light my candle and think, "I should write".

But, what?

This truly is my favorite time of day.

How on earth did that happen? I am not a morning person by nature. I have trained myself to be. Somewhere along the way, I realized that this is the only time I get ... to be alone with God or alone with myself.

But, then I learned that this is also a beautiful time to be alone with His creation! The birds really do sing more sweetly in the morning. The sky really does creep into day with a grace and beauty that is only visible in the break of day. The stillness of the rest of the world ... that is something I crave all day and this is the only time you can get it.

So, here I sit. Candle burning, tea steaming, birds singing ... in stillness.

Here, I ponder. What it means to follow God. What it means to be good. What it means to be righteous. What it means to be a good mother, a good wife, a good home-educator.

Here I sit with God.

And, it is here that He speaks to me. It is here that it is quiet enough for me to hear Him.

What is your favorite time of day?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...