Monday, June 11, 2012

Are you living at the center of God's will for you?


"In the center of a hurricane there is absolute quiet and peace. There is no safer place than in the center of the will of God."
                                        ~ Corrie ten Boom

As I sat there with my piping hot tea on Sunday morning, I read this quote in my daily devotional.

If you place yourself at the center of God's will, He will provide for your needs and direct your path. I truly believe that. Do you?

But, how do we know when we are living at the center of God's will for our life? Does your life feel centered and peaceful? I'm not talking perfect or quiet (especially if you have children in the mix). I'm talking about your spirit. Do you feel centered and peaceful?

If you feel at peace with what you are doing with your life, then I'd venture to guess that you are probably living the life God intends for you.

If you feel internal chaos and discontent, you are probably unknowingly fighting the natural forces that are trying to guide you onto your path. If you feel like you are constantly struggling, maybe it's because you are fighting against what God has planned for you.

And, I mean really. Who can win in a battle against God?

No one.

This small bit of my reading yesterday morning really struck me.

Am I doing His will?

No doubt.

I know to the core of my being that I am doing His will with regards to my choosing to be a wife and mother above all else. I know that it is God's will for me to be at home. I know that it is God's will for me to provide food for my family in a loving way, each and every day. I know that it is God's will for me to keep my girls home and form lasting relationships with them while educating them about this amazing world that He created for us. I know that it is God's will for me to provide a loving home for my children and for my husband to thrive in. I know that it is God's will for me to strive to be the Proverbs 31 woman for my husband and for my family.

But, are we as a family wholly living in the center of God's will? Would He be providing more for us if we were more directly in the center of His will? What is His will for us? What is His will for my husband? What is His will for my husband's career and the manner in which we earn a living? What is His will for how we, as a family, spend our days? What might we be missing? How do we find the answer in the midst of day to day survival?

I don't fully know the answers to these questions, to be perfectly honest. But, it certainly got me thinking. And, I brought it up to my husband, so it got us talking.

It takes quiet time and reflection to really meditate on what God might want you to do with your life. But, figuring out the what is only half the battle. Putting steps into place to make that happen when you are struggling just to survive each day ~ now, that is hard. How do you work towards a goal when you have to work 10 hours a day to pay the rent? How do you start to make changes when you have to work 6 days a week to buy food for your family?

These are things we are working on here in our home. If I know nothing else, I know that none of it is going to be possible without the help of God. So, I took the first step. Prayer. I asked God to show us what it is that He wants us to do. I asked Him to provide the means to make it happen if it is to be a significant change. I asked for His strength and guidance and for Him to give us the courage to live the life that He wants us to live.

We're working on our "Five Year Plan". Are you? Where do you get your strength when things get tough? Do you lean on God as He has instructed us to do? When your life continues to feel like an uphill battle, do you ever stop to think that maybe you are out in the middle of that hurricane rather than living peacefully in the calm of God's will?

Something to think about. I'll leave you with a few verses to inspire your next Quiet Time.

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart; And lean not upon your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your path." 
                 Proverbs 3:5-6

"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
               Jeremiah 29:11

“I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you and watch over you."
             Psalm 32:8

"Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."
            Isaiah 41:10

"I can do all things through Him who strengthens me." 
             Philippians 4:13 
 
Until next time,
   ~ Irie Momma 

1 comment:

  1. Shoot, girl, that's a whole lot to take in. I have to read and steep, read and steep. But the first paragraphs are right on with what our preacher said Sunday on peace. My notes are scrawled all over the bulletin, the BIble (I'm one of "those" folks, lol) my notebook, unable to really tell what are his words and my thoughts from those words. And they are in the other room. But the heart of it all is that God is not the author of confusion, but of peace. I have said that to more people in the past few weeks, and to myself....a sign of the times, that we need to be reminded that God doesn't smite us with anxiety and confusion? We do a darn good job of that on our own, thankyouverymuch. He doesn't promise us a free ride, a journey this side of heaven that is easy like Sunday morning (is it sacrilege to throw down Lionel Ritchie while ruminating on God's will-promises? Feeling a little uneasy about this...) But He does promise us all over the Bible that, should we accept His will, His plan for us, that in the midst of It, there will be peace.
    I just finished 1.5 chapters of Voskamp's 1000 Gifts. Good sakes alive, I didn't think I'd make it out. I did, but not without this nugget:
    "Is the height of my chara joy dependent on the depths of my eucharisteo thanks? As long as thanks is possible, joy is always possible. Joy is always possible. Whenever, meaning--now; wherever, meaning -- here."

    NOw, time to read this post more and steep, read and steep.

    ps - so glad you're back :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...