Thursday, February 9, 2012

What's in Store?

From a simpler time in our lives ... 

I'm sure you saw it coming.

Changes. From me, the Queen of Changes. Each time I start out "hard and heavy", I relax a bit and then the desire for more simplicity wiggles its way into my brain.

Don't get me wrong. Nothing about our homeschooling has been bad lately. The girls tell me they love everything we've been doing.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I'm sure that's what you're thinking. You're wondering why I can't leave well enough alone and just go with it.

Well, the only problem so far has been me, not them. I'm having trouble getting to everything I have planned. I'm feeling guilty when I can't get to it all. I'm feeling a bit disjointed. I'm feeling the desire for more SIMPLICITY. When that happens, I always find my way back to Waldorf. Thankfully, I've finally learned not to toss it all and start over. Don't worry. That's not at all what I'm doing. I've just been meditating on our studies and finding ways to simplify, that's all.

The girls love the materials, so we will still use them. Just a bit differently. And, I'm bringing some of the Waldorf back in. I can break all of that down in another post, but I thought I'd share our plans for the coming week first.

Family Work: 

Morning:
Light a candle, say a prayer, read from The Children's Story Bible by Vos: New Testament Ch 22 (Parables of Jesus), Ch 33 (The Good Samaritan), The Parables of Jesus by Tomie dePaola

Mid-morning readings:
Charlotte Mason Geography, Lesson 6
Listen to the "The Orchestra" by Mark Rubin on Audio
Outdoor Secrets "The Horse Chestnut's Name"
Seven Little Sisters, Agoonack

Final readings:
Child's History of the World Ch 3 "Bronze/Iron Age" (read, narrate, timeline)
Child's Garden of Verses
Smart About Pierre Auguste Renoir Paintings that Smile
Life in the Great Ice Age, Ch 1 & 2

After Main Lessons:
Monday: Make Valentines (for Daddy, each other)
Tuesday: Bake Valentines (Chocolate Peanut Butter Hearts)
Wednesday: Picture Study "A Girl with a Watering Can"
                 Burgess Bird, Ch 3 (Read, Color, Paste, Copy)
Friday: Wet-on-Wet Watercolor Painting

Literature: Little House in the Big Woods & Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland

The Princess (primarily guided work with me):

Main Lesson: Math, Quality of Numbers
This week we'll work with numbers 1-4.

Read aloud to me, 10 minutes per day (for practice)
Queen Language Lessons for Little Ones, Volume 3, daily
Dreambox Math, 15 minutes, daily

The Hippie (Main Lesson together; other work is independent):

Main Lesson: Old Testament
This week we'll paint from Jacob's Dream and copy a verse from it.
She'll also begin an English/Grammar Main Lesson Book and work on memorizing the second stanza of "The Moon" by Robert Louis Stevenson.

Cursive (Pictures in Cursive PRIMER), daily
Dreambox Math, 20 minutes 3 times
Language Lessons for the Very Young, Volume 1, daily
Assigned Reading: The Family Under the Bridge, Ch 3-6

******

We will be delivering Valentines to the elderly on Thursday and joining our friends for Waldorf Handwork Group on Wednesday, where both girls are learning to cross-stitch. Should be an exciting and educational week.

What do  you have planned?
 

2 comments:

  1. I think you are too hard on yourself! ;) What I see you doing here is WONDERFUL!!!! Thank you for sharing everything with us.
    I'm in the planning and gearing up to start again mode. We probably won't begin until March due to the new baby and a family wedding at the end of the month that we are all involved with, but my planning has begun. I need to pick up a new planner and have ordered a few books. Mostly, I've been reading articles and blogs and getting ideas and inspiration!!!

    I need to revamp our Circle Time plan around the baby's morning nap. I also want to organize our days better...we will see! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know the beauty of homeschooling is tailoring your school to your kids, plain and simple. Don't be so hard on yourself. We are just staring to see a rhythm and relaxing at the same time, but requiring a lot of the kids as well. :-) I can't wait to see what you are going to do!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...