Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Corn Maze, Pumpkin Patch, Popcorn Popper ... Fall Fun

This past Friday we were blessed to be able to go on our second annual Corn Maze field trip.  We lived in an entirely different state last year (I choose to keep city and state names out of my blog for the protection and safety of my family ... also the reason for "The Fairy" and "The Princess" ... by the way, for those of you who don't know, the Fairy is my oldest daughter.  She is about to turn 8.  The Princess is my youngest daughter; she just turned 6 a couple of months ago).  

Anyway, one of our favorite field trips last year was our visit to the Corn Maze.  We were so thankful that Daddy was able to join us, because it was what seemed (to all of us Moms) like a very complicated maze with a map that made no sense to us whatsoever.  Thankfully, he guided us through it with ease.  We got to jump on the coolest thing since sliced bread .... it's like a trampoline that you can't get hurt on.  Just a convex jumping thing with air blowing it up underneath.  Even Momma and Daddy joined in on the fun.  We took a hay ride around the farm and learned about the fall crops.  It was fantastic!  We also enjoyed a beautiful picnic lunch with our friends and some play on one of the best playgrounds I've ever seen.  And, to finish up the beautiful day, we got to pick our own pumpkins out of the pumpkin patch.  
























































That was last year.  It was so much fun.  So much FALL.  Just perfect.  A pretty hard field trip to live up to.  When I learned that our current homeschool group in our new state was planning a Corn Maze field trip, I was hopeful that it would be as great.  I was skeptical, but hopeful.  

Well, I have to say that, although I did prefer last year's just a little, overall it was another success!  Let me preface by saying that out of nowhere, last Wednesday and Thursday were in the 90s!  October 27th and 28th and in the 90s!!!  Yes, you heard that correctly.  YUCK!  I was NOT looking forward to "enjoying" a FALL field trip in that weather!  By the time I went to bed Thursday night, it was still hot.  I was nervous.  

Thankfully, as He always does, God pulled through and blessed us with a gorgeous morning!  The high for Friday was only 76!  It was  in the 60s in the morning ~ couldn't have been better!  And, once again, we were blessed enough to have Daddy join us.  We all donned our jeans, tees and light jackets (woo hoo ~ wouldn't have been much of a fall field trip in shorts and tank tops), loaded up our picnic lunches and headed out about 8:30 am.  When we arrived at the farm, I was happy to see that they, too had a "popcorn popper" (really awesome jumping thingy mentioned above).  So, this one had a corn maze, this one had a jumper, this one had a playground, this one had the hay rides, and this one had great friends.  I saw the makings of another beautiful memory!  

Once again, Daddy helped us through the corn maze ...









The girls enjoyed seeing and feeding the donkey, goats, pig and chickens ...






 
We all enjoyed TWO hayrides around the farm, complete with education on the fall crops ...





Everyone enjoyed the popcorn popper (except for Momma ... not sure why I never got on it this year) ...



The girls enjoyed these AWESOME slides, but there was not a play place like last year (bummer) ...







The only disappointment this year was the "free pumpkins" we received.  Not that I'm complaining about anything FREE.  It's just that, the girls have commented on just about EVERY church pumpkin patch we've passed over the past three weeks, wanting to get pumpkins to carve.  I've said every time, "No, girls.  we're gonna get pumpkins on our Corn Maze field trip.  We'll carve those."  All this time, I've assumed that we would get good sized carving pumpkins like we did last year.  Well, much to my surprise, when the day was finally over and I asked about the pumpkins we were supposed to get, the nice lady led me to some tiny decorative pumpkins ... you know, like the gourds you use as a centerpiece.  Oh well.  They are cute and we have a gorgeous fall centerpieces at our table now.  And, maybe it was a blessing in disguise.  Because of the mix-up, we didn't get our pumpkins to carve until the DAY OF All Hallow's Eve.  We carved them on THAT day and already had lots of fruit flies by the next day!  So, maybe it IS better to wait until the last minute on that!  :-)  Anyway, after our fun-filled day at the farm, we headed over to the park for our lunch and then spent some time practicing our soccer skills with friends!  Overall, it was a wonderful day.   Full of blessings and memories!  Lovely, fall memories for my children to cherish.  The start to our favorite time of the year!













 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...